Tuesday 29 April 2008

Cast On

(Originally posted Saturday 29 March)

I love to knit. However, until recently I had been too scared to try anything more than scarves. Lame. Since I am largely a self-taught knitter, I have no one to show me how to progress.

The other obstacle I've found is the relative lack of knitters who are not so much into ugly old lady stuff. That's not ageist, because I've seen plenty of patterns featuring pictures of otherwise perfectly normal people, young and old, in some of the most hideous cardigans, sweaters, dresses, etc. By no means am I opposed to quirky, creative and offbeat knits. That's part of the problem. The vast majority of patterns I've found online look like they belong to my grandma. While that can sometimes be a good thing (I'm all about vintage), let me tell you, the fashions of Doris Ryan leave something to be desired.

But eventually I decided eff this, I'm just going to jump in head first and figure things out as I go. The beauty of knitting is that if what you're working on sucks, you can just take it apart and start over. So here's to a new beginning.

No comments: